Lulu & Daw caught up with Ebony Eagles, founder of Auguste the Label, to delve into the Auguste life, behind the brand and all things up and coming.
- What to expect in up and coming Auguste styles?
Anything and everything! We have a lot of new shapes coming out in the coming months, but we’re also not straying too far from our Auguste classics – the effortless, the floaty and the feminine. Expect more variety, I guess is what we’re saying! You’re in for a treat.
- We've seen you're trying to make a positive change towards being as sustainable as possible, what are some of the things you are doing to achieve this?
It’s a constant focus of ours and something the team is very passionate about! At the moment, 80% of our production comes from accredited factories, either by SEDEX or BSCI. We aim to ship two thirds of our products by sea freight to reduce our carbon footprint, and we’re about to move to 100% compostable packaging (currently, we have a mix of compostable and recyclable). We’re also currently looking into organic cottons and certified rayons for our future collections.
- What is the vision for Auguste the Label?
To create feminine, vintage-inspired garments which make women feel good while promoting social consciousness in all that we do. We aim to be authentic and ethical.
- Biggest achievement to date?
Oh, much too difficult to say. There are so many things to be proud of. From raising over $70,000 for UN Women to our long-standing work with the Australian Marine Conservation Society, and even just creating a workplace that feels like an extended family. How can you pick one thing?
- Most popular style ever produced
Our Muse Wrap Maxi. It’s a long-standing favourite – a testament to timeless and versatile design!
- Tips on wearing an Auguste the Label dress both casually and dressing it up?
We like to think this is something our designs particularly cater for – that day to night transition. Casually is easy of course... just keep your hair down, pair your pick with some slides or classic white sneakers, let the dress do the talking. We love to layer fine jewels to dress a piece up and pair it with some heeled boots or square-toed sandals.
- Any exciting news or new styles that we should keep an eye out for?
We may have another charity campaign in the works… Stay tuned!
- Why did you start Auguste the Label and how did you start?
Auguste actually started as an evolution of my first brand, Ebony Eve, which I started quite young really, at just 22. After almost ten years years with Ebony Eve, my designs started to take on another language – I felt it was a new direction that deserved a new brand. So Auguste was born!
- How have you found the juggle between work and being a Mother?
I’ve never seen it as a juggle really – instead I find that each world drives the other. Motherhood has motivated me in the most powerful ways, both professionally and in my private life.
- Are there any downsides to living one of the most beautiful places in Australia?!
- What advice would you give to early 20-year-old Ebony?
Nothing really! I think that everything happens for a reason and each experience is a lesson. The good, the bad – it’s all character building and you have to go through it. I think I’ve turned out alright!